Since there are so many things I want to share about my time in Thailand and Cambodia, I decided to break the recap into a few posts with highlights from each portion of the trip.
First, I met my sister in Chiang Mai, Thailand, where she’d been studying since January. Chiang Mai is incredible. It’s the second largest city in the country, but significantly smaller (and has the reputation for being much more laid back) than Bangkok. We stayed in the city for almost a week and did and saw so much.
A few highlights:
- Transportation – It was so fun taking Tuk-Tuks and Songtaus around the city (and especially fun listening to my sister barter down the price in Thai).
- Food – There are restaurants and street vendors everywhere you look in Thailand. We had one incredible meal after another and enjoyed delicious curries, stir-fries and amazing fresh fruit.
- Markets – There are so many different markets with everything from spices, to flowers, to handmade bags. Two of my favorites were the Sunday Walking Street and a night market by Chiang Mai University full of cute boutique clothes stands.
- Temples – We visited so many amazing temples including Wat Doi Suthep, on a hill overlooking the city, and Wat Chiang Man, Chiang Mai’s oldest.
- Thai Massage – My sister learned to love Thai massage and convinced me to go with her one day. I can’t say it was relaxing, but the hour-long stretching/pummeling was truly an experience.